bumGenius! | What’s so Great about Bum Genius!?
So we’ve been doing retail for over 2 years and getting product from Bum Genius was virtually impossible for a while, because #1 They are a young company and #2 Apparently parents go crazy over these cloth diapers, so naturally we wanted to carry them in our store. So I finally get my hands on a shipment of bumGenius! diapers, specifically bumGenius 3.0 one size cloth diaper. At first glance, it looks like a great product, very similar to the Happy Heineys diapers we already carry. It’s a pocket diaper with two inserts. There are three differences I noticed right away. #1 The bumGenius! diaper shell looks like a skinnier fit than Happy Heineys, not quite as bulky. #2 The inserts were actually adjustable, whereas the Happy Heineys inserts are not. They just give you an infant size and a toddler size. #3 You get your choice of using two diaper inserts at once or just one. I guess the purpose is if you have a baby with a regular poop schedule, you put the extra insert in before he poops. I don’t know how easy it is to predict this, but nevertheless, the diaper works with one insert as well. It looks great, but what’s the big deal with these diapers anyway?
I spoke to a mom last weekend that just raved about these diapers. She told me that the fit on them was perfect, never had a leak. She loved the ease of washing the diapers, just sticking in two fingers to pull the insert out of the pocket, in the laundry bag and that’s it. For poops, simply empty the diaper into the toilet, or better yet, purchase the spray attachment that cleans the poop right off before the initial wash. This may save you from odor as well.
Money: These diapers absolutely save you on money in the long run, which is just what we need in these economic times. The bumGenius! diapers cost less than $20 each and they grow with your baby from newborn to toddler. Start with 30 and you’re set for your baby’s whole diapering life! When you think that a pack of Pampers costs $25 and muliply that by 25 packs per year (one box every other week) and you’ve paid for the diapers in less than one year.
Environment: Do your part for the environment with cloth diapers. Here are some facts from the RealDiaperAssocation.org website.
- In 1988, over 18 billion diapers were sold and consumed in the United States that year.4 Based on our calculations (listed below under “Cost: National Costs”), we estimate that 27.4 billion disposable diapers are consumed every year in the U.S.
- The instructions on a disposable diaper package advice that all fecal matter should be deposited in the toilet before discarding, yet less than one half of one percent of all waste from single-use diapers goes into the sewage system.
- Over 92% of all single-use diapers end up in a landfill.
- In 1988, nearly $300 million dollars were spent annually just to discard disposable diapers, whereas cotton diapers are reused 50 to 200 times before being turned into rags.
- No one knows how long it takes for a disposable diaper to decompose, but it is estimated to be about 250-500 years, long after your children, grandchildren and great, great, great grandchildren will be gone.
- Disposable diapers are the third largest single consumer item in landfills, and represent about 4% of solid waste. In a house with a child in diapers, disposables make up 50% of household waste.
- Disposable diapers generate sixty times more solid waste and use twenty times more raw materials, like crude oil and wood pulp.
- The manufacture and use of disposable diapers amounts to 2.3 times more water wasted than cloth.
- Over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby EACH YEAR.
Fashion: The bumGenius! diapers come in several pastel and bright colors to keep your baby’s rump looking cute as ever.
Not Your Mother’s Cloth Diaper: Thank God, you don’t have to worry about diaper pins and waterproof covers on top of cloth diapers, making the cloth diaper process tedious, arduous, and just plain gross. bumGenius! diapers are easy to clean, easy to change, and easy to live life with. Just try a couple of them, and we know you will love this diaper.
Daycare Moms: It may be impossible to use cloth diapers when your baby is in daycare, but you can still take advantage of these on the weekends and at bed time, so don’t be afraid to just try a couple of the bumGenius! diapers. Who knows? You might like them better than disposables, and may even be able to convince your daycare provider as well!